In order to empower women lawyers in the country KF has created a Women Lawyers' Network. The goal is to strengthen and facilitate women lawyers' active participation in their profession. Interaction among women lawyers nationally is facilitated, as well as with their local Elected Women Members (EWM) . KF also organises educational congresses every year for their benefit.
More About WOMEN LAWYERS NETWORK
Social justice & gender equality have always been on the focal agenda of Khan Foundation. Khan Foundation found that when the question of justice comes into play, women’s right & privileges in many instances are ignored or misunderstood in society. In order to tackle this crucial problem, Khan Foundation set up a Women Lawyers' Network. The members of the network also come together in the Women Lawyers Congress that are organized to promote interaction between Women Lawyers from 64 districts of the country and the capital Dhaka and to encourage exchange of views and transfer of knowledge. Khan Foundation regularly maintains correspondences with the Women Lawyers and incorporates them in various program activities of Khan Foundation.
Objective of Women Lawyer’s Network
- To raise awareness of their responsibilities and potential leadership role as a lawyer in society
- To developing coordination and cooperation between the lawyers and the Upazila women members forum of the Union Parishad (UP) and promoting communication with the view to strengthening local government
- To involve the Women Lawyers in ensuring women and child rights at the grass- roots level
- To promote support all human rights activities of Khan Foundation like Combating Trafficking & Violence against women, reproductive health rights programme etc.
- Encourage them to participate in the process of NGO alternative dispute resolution and assist local government representatives in capacity strengthening of Village Court (VC) and Arbitration Council (AC).
Women Lawyer Congress:
Women Lawyer Congress is a broad meeting of the members of the WLN with one or two year interval. Women lawyer from all over the country congregate in the capital city and where it is brought to their attention, the injustices to the poor, marginalized groups and garner their support in providing assistance to these victims. Till now, KF has organized six Women Lawyers Congresses in Dhaka, The members of the network come together in the Women Lawyers Congress that are organized to promote interaction between Women Lawyers from 64 districts of the country and the capital Dhaka and to encourage exchange of views and transfer of knowledge. Khan Foundation regularly maintains correspondences with the Women Lawyers and incorporates them in various program activities of the organization. In the Congress, important policy reforms can be discussed to increase responsiveness of the justice system to the needs of the poorest/most disadvantaged.
The objectives of the Women Lawyers Congress are:
- To promote interaction between women lawyers from all districts of the country and the capital Dhaka, to encourage exchange of views and transfer of knowledge
- To raise awareness of their responsibilities and potential leadership roles as a lawyer in society
- To engage the involvement of women lawyers in women and child rights
- To develop a Network between the lawyers and the Women Members of the Union Parishads (UP) to promote communication with the view to strengthening local government as well as empowering women at the grass roots level
- To enable women lawyers to network and develop linkages with national and international lawyers and judges
- To ensure women lawyers' effective participation in Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process
- To ensure effective participation of women lawyers in the political process/decision making process in order to bring about amendment of laws that favor marginalized groups